I wonder if I put a few words here?

Blog 7

Examples you have been a part of in your classes of Gamification

I’ve been in a gamification class called the missing letters game, in one of my ESL classes. The teacher asked the students to put the letters in the pictures together in order to make reasonable English words. I found this teaching method very interesting and promoted my interest in English learning.

In this game, we will use the dictionary to extract English words so that we can sort the letters. In the process of looking through the dictionary, students often read many words, which helps students to master more English vocabulary. In addition, students will work in groups to complete game tasks, so that students can not only learn knowledge but also practice their teamwork skills. Finally, students will not feel bored with the learning process by using this way of learning through games. On the contrary, students will have a strong interest in learning.

Therefore, I think the game-like learning method is of great help to improve students’ interest in learning. I hope instructors can make the teaching method gamified to attract students’ attention to learning.

1. yiyangwei

Hi, Zhiwen. Thank you for sharing the alphabet game. It is true! I am pleased to share my own learning experience here. As you said, in looking up the dictionary, students often read a lot of words, which helps students master more English vocabulary. When I was learning English as a second foreign language, my first class was a game class. The teacher teaches through scenario simulations and cards. Later, in the learning process that I accumulated, I did not memorize words by rote, but through the obscure words of news articles and self-inquiry to familiarize and learn.

2. shufenwei

Hi Zhiwen:

Thank you for providing an example of gamification that you had. When I was taking ESL class, I didn’t have it very too much. But I do have it on my few psychology classes. I agree with the idea of using game-based learning method can improve student’s interest. Because when I having an activity or a worksheet about “Missing Letters” or “Word puzzles” in the class, it do help me to memorize those academic terms during learning.